The Antidote to Bad Boys



The antidote to bad boys is to be the bad girl.

It's a theory that has captured my intrigue these past few weeks, an intrigue propelled by my realization that I am hopefully attracted to the bad boy, and that no amount of psychoanalysis or therapy might cure me of this flaw in taste. But I reckon, some S&M heels from Rodarte, a couple of frocks from Alexander McQueen, and a dollop of Lanvin might (I just love Lanvin, it's to boost my spirits).

It's no secret that goth is one of Fall 2008's biggest trends. While autumn collections of the past have dallied heavily on the concepts of luxury, this season a darker undercurrent seems to prevail, albeit one with romantic inclinations. Lace with religious overtones at Givenchy, distressed black chiffon at Chanel, and Wicked Witch of the West hats at Dior and Luella all indicate a move towards subversive fashion. The sweet and soft-spoken girly girl of spring has given way to a new goth, one that sports couture with heavily lined eyes, a la Viktor & Rolf.

I suppose there is a certain comfort in being the bad girl, fashion-wise. I've always had this nagging feeling that I could somehow fall into evil if I wasn't too careful—perhaps become a spinoff of Eve, the woman, the one who was tempted in the garden. But I suppose when you're cloaked in jet black velvet, shrouded in lace, and shod in black leather boots (all fabulously decadent things, hopefully, not worn on a single day), there is a feeling that you've already crossed over to the dark side, and that no chance of further indiscretion exists. If fashion is a form of communication not only directed towards the world at large, but also, to one's own self, then maybe a bit of black leather can change my luck. But then, although good girls are often attracted to the bad boy, good boys go for girls of the same virtuous persuasion (a double standard i never understood). Then again, with such delicious, midnight-hued frocks, who at all cares.


Runway Goths at Alexander McQueen, Luella, and Givenchy

Comments

Popular Posts