Fashion Math: Sex and the City



We all drooled the first time Carrie and her friends started doing their mini runway show on the first episode of SATC, and we haven't stopped drooling since. The movie version of this cult fave was a dream come true I never thought would ever materialize (yes kind of dramatic, I'm a bit of a fan). And as I've explained to a lot of men, the draw of these four characters wasn't exactly the sex. It was the clothes that came off, or stayed on, before the sex. Women everywhere fell in love with the characters, playing favorites, trying to figure out which one they were most like (I, according to an online quiz, was a mix of Carrie and Samantha). Needless to say, that whole shebang with the cutesy name necklace, the Dr. Scholl sandal, the ginormous floral brooch, and many other wildcard hits was due to this landmark show.

Carrie's ability to pull off even the quirkiest ensemble made her a fashion icon, and made the show's costume designer, the equally eclectic Patricia Field, a household name. Now, this would not have been possible without the incomprehensibly exaggerated amount of couture they had to play with. Couture that Carrie, on her writer's salary, wouldn't necessarily have been able to afford (I work in fashion, I know). Michael Patrick King, I read one time, did say that they imagined Carrie to have been a very resourceful girl with tons of friends in the industry to give her stuff. Something like that. The same fantasy was involved in the movie's wardrobe, and E! Online has gone ahead to do the math. Now, given all that information, I couldn't help but wonder, how much does it cost to be Carrie exactly...

Carrie and Big's luxury Fifth Avenue apartment: $25 million
Louise's Louis Vuitton Monogram Motard Firebird bag (a gift from Carrie): $5,400
Carrie's 18-karat gold H.Stern Love keychain (a gift from Louise): $6,800
Renting a room for five hours at the New York Public Library with a 375-person capacity: $30,000
Carrie's "vintage" white silk crepe suit from Christian Dior 2008 Cruise Collection: jacket, $3,785; skirt, $2,215
Carrie's made-to-order Vivienne Westwood wedding gown: $22,760

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not bitter! I do love fashion, and its ability to make us dream like we did as kids (though not of the same things perhaps). This was just a little bit of fun. Besides, fashion and style come at all price points. That said, I am super excited to get ahold of my Carrie-inspired studded belt from my friend Aira of Cintura. Super duper cute. I have the different outfits I am gonna wear it with in my head.

Comments

Popular Posts